Monday, October 27, 2008

Radiology

I was able to get a copy of my X-rays from my podiatrist. I've posted here, as well as the report from my CT scan. I've noted a few things of interest on the X-rays. First is what is called the C-sign (white arrows), named because of the shape of the formation. I'm still researching what causes this. Next is the area of the coalition, which in my case is the middle facet between the talus and the calcaneous (red arrow). This is hard to see. Third is what is called beaking (because it looks like a beak). It's visible between the talus and the navicular (yellow arrow). Talar beaking is common with subtalar coalition. I'm looking into what causes beaking and if it's a source of pain. It sure looks like it is. Also, it's worth noting how much shorter the talus is in the left (coalition) foot than in the right.

If you're really interested, here is the radiology report from my left foot CT scan:
There is talocalcaneal coalition at the sustentaculum tali / middle talocalcaneal facet. The posterior talocalcaneal facet and anterior articulation appear preserved. There is dorsal talar beaking, foreshortening of the anterior talar process and dorsal navicular beaking all in a pattern typical for subtalar coalition. The ankle mortise is intact. There is foreshortening of the medial malleolus, also typical for subtalar coalition. The calcaneal cuboid joint, navicular cuneiform joints and all three intercuneiform joints are unremarkable. The Lis Franc joints are normal in appearance. The remaining osseous structures are unremarkable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a tarsal coalition too! and well i find that it is wierd that most of the things that i see on the internet about it.. well most of the people all have a tarsal coalition in their left foot.. well i wonder if you have noticed that too.. haa well just thought that i would add that in. thanks(:
-current tc patient-

Trish said...

My calcaneonavicular coaltion is also in my left foot.
I find it hard to find information on this topic. I stumbled across this web site accidentally by searching this topic on youtube.